The call for entries to the Sunshine Short Film Festival 2016 is now open! Please register now. You do not need to submit a film yet but just tell us that you are interested in working on one. You can also register as a volunteer or film crew member. Registrations will close on Sunday 25th September 2016 at 5pm.
Both budding and accomplished film makers are invited to enter a film that is five minutes or less in length on the theme of "Knights in Sunshine". Compete for a share of the $10,000 prize pool and having your film screened at Village Cinema Sunshine on our gala night on the 28th October 2016.
Categories for entry
- Primary School Category for those films that feature primary school children involved in key creative roles in the production (script, conception, production)
- Secondary School Category for those films that feature secondary school children involved in key creative roles in the production
- Open Category for everyone else.
Judging is by popular vote and there are lots of prizes to be won:
- The prize for the winning primary school entry is $500.00
- There are three prizes of Secondary School entries. 3rd place wins $500.00, 2nd place $1000.00 and the 1st place gets $2000.00
- We have one grand prize for the open category which is a cool $5000.00
- There is also a Judge’s Prize of $500.00 for artistic merit awarded by our expert judges and which is open to all categories.
This year will also see the introduction of the prestigious Millennium Trophy, a unique award with a special reference to Sunshine as those of you who attended the 2015 festival will know.
All finalists’ films will be screened on Friday 28th October 2016 at Village Cinemas Sunshine.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 May 2016 18:01
The following points are to help you think of different ways that you might address this year's theme in your film.
- Knight could be the name of a person (Charlene Knight), an animal (a dog named Knight), a place (Knight Avenue or Knights Stadium), a business( Knights Auto-Car Conditioning, or an organisation (Melbourne Knights Soccer Club).
- Knight could refer to the horse head chess piece. You could include references to the way a Knight is allowed to move on a chess board: moved one square vertically and then two squares horizontally, or one square horizontally and two squares vertically.
- Or Knight could refer to the titled mounted warrior as in Knights of The Round Table associated with King Arthur and chivalry, jousting and winning the hands and the handkerchiefs of fair maidens.
- Knight could refer to a member of any order or association that refers to its members as knights. For the purposes of your film, you could create an organisation that calls its members knights.
- Knight also has a nautical reference, meaning a short vertical timber with a sheave on its head through which you can fix a running rig!
- Knight could be a purely metaphorical reference. Somebody in trouble is waiting for their "knight in shining armour" to ride in and save them from a situation. This knight who could take the form of anyone in their life who may or may not appear. This type of knight might not be equipped with armour and a horse but will demonstrate the qualities of being a knight: the desire to help, the ability to fight a battle and to save someone in distress.
- Recognizing that the K in Knight is silent. Knight could also be read phonetically as in night. What we would than look for in the reference to theme is the contradiction of night and sun or night and sunshine or night in Sunshine (the place). However a reference to night in itself without a corresponding reference to sunshine or Sunshine will not be enough to speak to the theme of the festival.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Last Updated on Monday, 02 May 2016 16:52
Welcome to our film festival
The SSFF is a prestigious event celebrating the people, their enterprises and industry in Sunshine.
Why a Sunshine Short Film Festival?
- To celebrate the people, the history and the future of Sunshine. We all have interesting stories to share. This is a great way to share them.
- To help get local, regional and national recognition for Sunshine as a culturally dynamic and economically vibrant town. We know it. It’s time to let others in on the secret.
- To help develop your skills and talents. It’s a short leap from here to the Cannes Film Festival. Let us help you get there.