- Entries Close - 5pm Friday 25th August 2017
- Festival Night - Friday 22nd September 2017
PRESENTED WITH THE ST ALBANS COMMUNITY CENTER
The Sunshine Short Film Festival is very pleased to present the first of our IN-CONVERSATION series of chats with notable professionals from all aspects of the film industry, and who better to launch this exciting new program than local-boy-made-very-good, JAIME BROWN.
Hailed by The Hollywood Reporter as "one of the most intriguing and exciting writers to emerge from Australia in recent times.”
Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 July 2017 15:24
The Important Stuff
- Festival Screening Date: Friday 22 September 2017 at Village Cinemas Sunshine
- Deadline for Entry: 5pm Friday 25 August 2017
- Total Prize Pool: $10,000 including a $5,000 Judges Award for the Best Film
- Main Prize: Judges Award
- Secondary Prize: Popular Vote
- Festival Theme: "Brilliant Sunshine". Film makers are encouraged to interpret the theme as creatively as they wish. "Brilliant Sunshine" doesn't need to be the central motif, all you need to do is reference it at least once visually or in sound.
- Registration and Entry: FREE. Please register with us even if you don’t intend to submit a film. It’s good to know that you support the festival.
Categories for Entry
- Primary School Category for films intended for a primary school audience and/or that feature primary school children involved in key creative roles in the production (script, conception, production).
- Secondary School Category for films that feature secondary school students involved in key creative roles in the production.
- Open Category for everyone else.
In the News
Last Updated on Friday, 07 July 2017 10:20
The winning film of the 2016 year's open category "Small Beginnings" in the news.
Listen to this ABC Local interview with the film's producer Matthew Keating:
An article about Small Beginnings (including video) also featured in The Courier:
Kryal Castle film takes out prize
Last Updated on Monday, 23 January 2017 15:22
Countdown for Film Uploads
About the Festival
Established by the Sunshine Business Association in 2012, the Sunshine Short Film festival has grown over the past five years from a local festival to one with a national and international reputation attracting entries and attention from around the world.
The Sunshine Short Film Festival competition is still the only community based film festival in the west. We are proud to have stayed true to our founding mission which is to engage the local community in a celebration of the people, history and the future of Sunshine, and to attract local, regional and national recognition of Sunshine as a culturally dynamic and vibrant urban center.
The film competition is designed to be accessible to the widest range of people. There is no registration fee, we offer resources and skills development workshops, and the five-minute limit on the length of the films ensures that production is immediately achievable and affordable. We have had everyone from six year old children to seventy year old grandmothers and international award winning film makers participating in the competition.
The festival screening at the largest cinema in Village Cinema Sunshine has sold out each year of the festival. It's about time you got on board! Welcome.