Obtaining proper writer permissions Is the responsibility of each film maker. A video release form is also known as an Appearance Release form. It is a simple contract that gives you legal permission to use the image of the person or use the location.
A good video release form:
- Specifies what is being released (video images, audio, photographs).
- Specifies that the videographer may sell or assign the right to use the images or other materials to third parties.
- Specifies that the release is irrevocable. Otherwise, the release could be terminated by the person giving it at any time.
- Is signed and dated by the individual releasing his/her images. If the subject is a minor (under 18 years old), the release should be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Is in writing.
The following is an example of a simple video release form:
For good and valuable consideration, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, I hereby consent to the photographing of myself and the recording of my voice and the use of these photographs and/or recordings singularly or in conjunction with other photographs and/or recordings for advertising, publicity, commercial or other business purposes. I understand that the term "photograph" as used herein encompasses both still photographs and motion picture footage.
I further consent to the reproduction and/or authorization by ___________________to reproduce and use said photographs and recordings of my voice, for use in all domestic and foreign markets. Further, I understand that others, with or without the consent of ________________ may use and/or reproduce such photographs and recordings.
I hereby release _____________________, and any of its associated or affiliated companies, their directors, officers, agents, employees and customers, and appointed advertising agencies, their directors, officers, agents and employees from all claims of every kind on account of such use.
If Model is under 18: I, ____________________, am the parent/legal guardian of the individual named above, I have read this release and approve of its terms.
Print Name: ___________________________
- The Ultimate Guide to Copyright wiht.link/copyright_guide
- Music Industry Piracy Investigations (MIPI) www.mipi.com.au
- The Art of Storytelling: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/interview-danny-boyle-jason-reitman-ed-burns-storytelling/
- On Directing: http://vimeo.com/67676694
- Copyright Material Resources: http://foter.com/blog/files//2012/11/Foter.com_infographic_CC.jpg
- Films that teach you about filmmaking: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/05/movie-film-watch-learn-craft-filmmaking-jack-perez/
- Anatomy of a Film Crew: http://www.theblackandblue.com/2011/07/07/crew-anatomy/
- The Frugal filmmaker - Film making Tips: http://m.youtube.com/#/user/thefrugalfilmmaker?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2Fthefrugalfilmmaker
- More Filmmaking Tips: http://m.youtube.com/#/user/indymogul?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2Findymogul
- The DIY Filmmakers Toolkit: http://wistia.com/blog/the-diy-filmmakers-toolkit/
- 6 Film making Tips from Richard Linklater: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/6-filmmaking-tips-from-richard-linklater.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FilmSchoolRejects+%28Film+School+Rejects%29
- Video School: http://vimeo.com/videoschool
- Creating Special Effects: http://m.youtube.com/#/user/joeyshanksfx?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2Fjoeyshanksfx
- On white balance and colour temperature:http://filmmakeriq.com/images/white-balance-and-color-temperature-infographic/
- The Fundamentals of exposure: http://filmmakeriq.com/2012/07/the-fundamentals-of-exposure-infographic/
- Quick Special Effects: http://m.youtube.com/#/user/Knoptop?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2FKnoptop
- Low light tips: http://blog.snapsort.com/2011/04/05/low-light-photograph/
- Just interesting stuff: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/
- Screen Australia: http://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/
- For Historical Footage: Film Australia Collections Library: http://nfsa.gov.au/collection/film-australia-collection/library/
- Film Classification: www.classification.gov.au
- On the legal issues of filming on location or on public property. The Arts Law website offers some guidance. www.artslaw.com.au
- Arts Law Legal Resources: www.artslaw.com.au
- Australian Film Institute: www.afi.org.au
- ACMI – Australian Centre for Moving Image – www.acmi.net.au
- Film Victoria: www.film.vic.gov.au
- OPEN Channel. www.openchannel.org.au
- Encore Magazine: www.encoremagazine.com.au
- Filmink: www.filmink.com.au
- IF Media: www.if.com.au
- Urban Cinefile: www.urbancinefile.com.au
- Free Movies Online: http://www.openculture.com/freemoviesonline
- On creating Stop Motion Films: http://genero.tv/blog/2013/behind-the-scenes-puppetry-stop-motion/
- The Hero's Journey (Narration): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yZxs_jGN7Pg
- On creating a 3 Act Structure: http://lessonbucket.com/filmmaking/developing-your-story/
- On common Film Making mistakes: http://lessonbucket.com/filmmaking/filmmaking-mistakes/
- Introduction to Filmmaking Craft "Les Miserables": http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=les+misérables+craft+featurette
- Bell Labs promo for how to make films using a computer: http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/07/tech-time-warp-of-the-week-att-computer-animation-1964/?cid=co9749874
- On using dissolves effectively: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/07/12/the_dissolve_picks_cinema_s_greatest_dissolves_from_citizen_kane_to_space.html
- Funding Your Film: http://au.artshub.com/au/news-article/features/arts/borrowing-without-the-ball-and-chain-195654
- You dont need money to make a video!
- Making Movies: A comprehensive guide to film production process and the people who make movies (PDF’s in Dropbox. SSFF)
- An explanation of ADR (and general sound engineering) http://nofilmschool.com/2013/12/inside-the-world-of-adr-with-dub-master-doc-kane/
- Finding Actors and Extras http://www.starnow.com.au/Casting-Calls/Australia/Victoria/Actors-wanted/
- Copyright: http://copyrightuser.org/ (UK focussed but still useful)
- Story telling tips from the master of movie trailers http://www.fastcocreate.com/3031012/9-short-storytelling-tips-from-a-master-of-movie-trailers
- Lighting: Lighting Like Leibovitz – The One Light Challenge https://fstoppers.com/bts/lighting-leibovitz-one-light-challenge-12297
- Film Titles: http://lessonbucket.com/filmmaking/film-titles/
- The Art of Film Title Design Throughout Cinema History: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/10/04/the-art-of-the-film-title-throughout-cinema-history/
- Freeplay music links: http://www.freeplaymusic.com/
- The Periodic Table of Story Telling: http://designthroughstorytelling.net/periodic/index.html
- Over 80 Scripts Free for download: http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/free-script-downloads
- Copyright Resources: The Official Guide to Copyright issues for Australian Schools and TAFE: http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/
- Royalty free music : http://lessonbucket.com/filmmaking/royalty-free-music-and-sound/
- To find artists similar to the one you like for music etc: http://www.tastekid.com/
- The 11 defining features of the summer blockbuster: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-11-defining-features-of-the-summer-blockbuster/
- On movie making, resources for students: http://www.nothingbeatstherealthing.info/making-movies/making-movies
- Creative Collaborations & Why Copyright Counts
- DSLR Cinematography Guide
- Making Movies Teaching Resource 5
Lightworks has also becoming very popular since the release of an open source (free version). Lightworks has been used to edit many Hollywood feature films. It does require a license fee to use some codecs that are the native format of current video cameras and the program also requires a fairly powerful computer and/or video card.
Video Copilot: This website is great for begginers, they have hundreds of free tutorials on how to get the most out of your video. Everything from basic color grading to 3D explosions:- A must see!
CreativeCow: If you cant find it on this website then chances are its not worth seeing. You can browse the tutorials by category of software authored by professionals from around the world:- Thousands of tutorials!